When I was a child, I told someone once that I wanted to be an artist. They laughed and said art is just a child's fun until we grow up and have to live in the real world. So, I tried it their way for many years, pursuing a degree in science. Then, life made other plans and set me on the course where my life is spent designing a world behind the camera.
The older I get, the more I realize that if I have spent my whole life living in that jubilant joy that only comes when I am creating something beautiful, then I have lived well!
Want to know more about me? Then, read on!
- I have been a vegetarian for over 29 years. It is amusing the things a teenage girl will do to impress a cute boy. "Your a vegetarian? Gee... I can be, too!" 3 months later, he is chowing a burger and so many years later, I still have not!
- I make mistakes and I fall. Life isn't easy! But, I have learned to embrace those falling moments because it gives you pause to reassess who you are and your place in this world.
- I am obsessed with minions. What is it about these little yellow guys?! Seriously cute.
- I adore the cold. Maybe it is all the years I have spent in Minnesota, but I love winter, the snow, the crisp air.
- I pray, a lot. My Christian faith is the cornerstone to my identity. And, if you ever see me singing joyfully at the top of my lungs in my car when driving, I am surely singing "I Can Only Imagine" (and rarely hitting the right notes).
- I hoard cardigan sweaters. Whether it is an homage to Mr. Rogers or my grandpa, I love cardigans of all shapes, styles and colors. You will rarely see me in anything else. (And yes, I have an equal obsession to ballet flats and capri pants!)
- I have 4 adult children who have inspired me more than anything to take risks in my life and to enjoy failures. Sometimes, the life we didn't plan becomes the best gift of all.
- Despite my very outspoken nature, I am actually quite shy. I am oddly nervous of new situations and would much rather be a fly on the wall and simply observe. So, no surprise I became a photographer!
- I am obsessed with the Tiny House movement. I would love to one day to live in a small cabin in Montana, grow vegetables and write a book for no one but myself.
- I am very ADD. I love new challenges and diversity in my work. Some of the most unforgettable things I have photographed:
- Military Family Memorial Tribute at the State Capitol - standing in a torrential downpour to capture Governor Dayton, Tim Pawlenty, Amy Klobechar and other noteworthy attendees!
- USAW National Youth Championship (an Olympic qualifying event) - including World champion CJ Cummings as he set a new world record with Nike asking for photos to be wired to them minutes after he did so.
- Minnesota Vikings from within the team huddle with a Korean War Hero for Wish of a Lifetime. (Sorry Adrian Peterson for the elbow in the gut - but you were in my way!)
- In10city National Dance Championship - The same one showcasing Dance Moms. Had to have my arm in a sling for a week from the strain of shooting this event for 3 day (14 hours daily) non-stop.
- Memorial Roses for Backing the Blue Line - My first job with this group was capturing the rose preparation for the funeral of a police officer killed in the line of duty. There are no words . . .
- Twin Cities Color Run - A simple 5k event, but man did the participants seem to have fun and I am still finding color powder on my gear!
- Womens' March on Washington - I was an official photographer for the organizers and no words can adequately portray the emotion I felt this dayr.
- Urban Assault Ride - Google it, bowling and skateboards will never be viewed by me the same again!
- Fight Club - a fun editorial shoot with teenage boys. The shoot (seen here) was fun, but the best part was knowing these boys left my shoot as they were and went straight to Arby's for dinnerl Can you imagine being in that restaurant when they walked in?
- California Closets - I was hired to photograph for a national advertising campaign. It was fun working with the ad agency in Los Angeles and all the amazing resources that were provided as I headed into the shoot.
in the spotlight.
- Beautiful Human Award for Photography - An award showcasing those that have played a significant role in shaping the Twin Cities arts and entertainment industry. Recognized for telling the stories of artistic passions and work through the lens, by placing the audience in the front row seat to a unique perspective.
- ISD 191 John Coskran Volunteer Award - Recognizing those who give of themselves to enhance students’ educational experiences, and/or demonstrate the importance of citizenship to our children.
- Book "Capture Minnesota IV" by Explore Minnesota & Twin Cities Public Television
- Book "Steampunk: Fashion Design and Illustration" by Samantha Rei Crossland.
- Fashion Odds Magazine Sept 2015, editorial for MiTa Fashion
- Fashion Odds Magazine Feb 2016, 'Men of Style' editorial
- Clothes Maiden Journal Mar 2016, feature article on Celebrity Stylist / Creative Director Parker XL
- Nora Gouma Magazine March 2016, article on Celebrity Stylist / Creative Director Parker XL.
- Babes of Wonderland July 2017, article on Season 16 Project Runway Designer Samantha Rei.
- Elucid Magazine March 2017, article on Celebrity Creative Director Parker XL.
- The Trend Report S/S 2016, House of Nguyen.
- The Trend Report S/S 2017, Zenobian Moxis.
- Capture Minnesota, March 17, 2012, "Emily"
- Capture Minnesota, April 16, 2012, "Simply Samantha"
a glimpse behind the scenes.
Here are a few fun video clips captured by the clients and/or style team.